What to Wear to High School Senior Portraits – 22 Best Outfits
It’s that time of the year – you are getting ready to graduate and want to make sure you look your absolute best in the graduation photos. So, the following question arises – what outfits for senior pictures should you go for?
Choosing what to wear for your final high school pics can be tricky. You want to look fabulous but also feel comfortable.
In this blog post, I’ll give you some tips on picking the perfect photo shoot attire. I’ve highlighted everything you need to know to look amazing on your big day, so let’s start!
Table of Content
- 5 Rules to Follow when Choosing Outfits for Senior Pictures
- What to Wear for Senior Pictures – 22 Outfit Ideas
- Senior Picture Outfit Ideas for Different Seasons
- 3 Senior Photo Outfits for Guys
- Over To You
5 Rules to Follow when Choosing Outfits for Senior Pictures
Okay, seniors, before we start, there are a few things you should keep in mind regarding what to wear for senior pictures.
First, we’ll go over the dos and don’ts of outfit planning. Then, I’ll give you some general tips and tricks to look your best in front of the camera.
Rule #1: Choose comfortable clothes
To appear natural in your photos, you need to feel comfortable in your clothes. Since the whole photo-taking process can take a long time, choose breathable clothes to avoid sweating. Also, don’t pick overly tight garments – they will limit your movements.
Rule #2: Plan your outfits beforehand
Stressing over the outfits on the day of the photo shoot is tiring and, honestly, unnecessary, so make sure to plan what you’re going to wear at least a week before the event. You can also consult with a photographer so that they can give you advice on which colors will go best with the background.
Rule #3: Don’t limit yourself to one look
You only get one chance to take your senior high school pictures, so feel free to make the most of it! You don’t have to limit yourself to just one look. This is a perfect time to experiment with your style and find what makes you feel confident. Try out a few different looks on picture day, and don’t be afraid to be yourself.
Rule #4: Be mindful of colors
It’s important to be careful when choosing the outfit colors. You want to avoid shades that clash with your skin tone or the photo’s background. Instead, opt for colors that will compliment you and make you stand out.
Rule #5: Choose the right hairstyle and makeup
To look cool and natural in your graduation picture, choose simple hairstyles that suit your face, such as loose beach waves, a ponytail, or a messy bun. Avoid too formal hairstyles.
For makeup, go for a simple look as well. Stick to neutral colors that enhance your features without looking overdone. Avoid colors that are too harsh or dramatic.
What to Wear for Senior Pictures – 22 Outfit Ideas
Now that you know all dos and don’ts, it’s time for my favorite part of the article – choosing the perfect senior photo outfits!
To make things easier, in this section, I will categorize each outfit by the piece of clothing it features. I’ve also prepared some ready-to-use styles for inspiration.
Option #1: Dresses
Dresses are always a great option if you want to capture your beauty, youth, and girly vibe. But what model should you wear?
I selected my top three favorites to look flawless in the picture.
- Simple A-line dress. Opt for a minimalist A-line dress to feel comfy and stunning. Go with white or some light colors because these will work well with most backgrounds, especially outside.
- Bodycon style. If you want something a little more elegant but casual at the same time, wear your favorite bodycon dress in some natural, solid colors like gray, green, or navy blue. However, make sure that the dress has the appropriate length, does not have a deep neckline, and is made of breathable material.
- Shift dress. This short dress has a straight cut that allows flexibility, spaciousness, and maximum comfort, which makes it a great choice for an exhausting shooting day.
Okay, ladies, now it’s time for real fashion inspo featuring some senior picture dresses.
Let’s start with this lovely A-line dress paired with chic summer accessories. This one’s definitely a winner if you don’t want your body to feel encaged during the photo shoot.
After this flowing piece, let’s see how you can style a body-hugging dress.
A dark-gray bodycon dress with all these baby pink details looks absolutely adorable!
Option #2: Jean styles
For all those who want an unmistakable outfit for their senior day, choose the timeless jeans!
Wondering how to look good in jeans? Again, I have singled out three examples to inspire you, so let’s go through them.
- Wide-leg jeans. A comfortable piece of clothing and a classic style that will never go out of fashion. They are a great choice because you can pair them with just about anything – from plain white T-shirts over sweaters to plaid shirts.
- Denim dress. An excellent choice if you want to look stylish but not overdressed. You can pair it with sneakers, boots or some other shoes. In any case, it will look fantastic!
- Jean jacket. Another timeless piece of clothing that will perfectly complement your outfits for senior pictures. You can wear it over your bodycon dress, a T-shirt or tie it around your waist. A jean jacket gives that old-school vibe, so your senior photo will be trendy years later.
Let’s now see how to excel in your jean style by wearing a midi denim dress:
And if the dress isn’t your cup of tea, you’ll love the following combination.
Light wash trousers, a cropped jean jacket, a plain T-shirt, and sneakers radiate a youthful vibe and guarantee phenomenal photos.
Option #3: Shirts
Many seniors choose to wear shirts as part of their senior portrait outfits. There are a few reasons why this is a good idea.
First, shirts come in versatile styles, helping you show off your personality. Second, you can find a fitting shirt for every photo shoot theme. Last but not least, they go well with other clothing items.
Not sure which type of shirt is the best choice for you? Let me help you with this matter.
- A blouse. A safe choice that will always look good in pictures. It’s clean and crisp, and you can wear it in countless ways, depending on the rest of your outfit.
- Oversized shirt. A great option to feel most comfortable and super stylish. It’s the perfect choice if you’re not sure what to wear or just feel that your outfit misses the touch of uniqueness. Just make sure that the shirt isn’t too wrinkled or sloppy.
- Western shirt. If you want to take photos somewhere in nature, a western shirt is an unmistakable choice. Plain or plaid? I’ll leave that option to you. Complete the look with jeans and cowboy boots, and you will rock that photo session!
Let me now show you how to look super stylish by wearing a white blouse and floral pants.
After this elegant styling, it’s time for something completely different. Want to look a bit dangerous? Opt for a country look!
A plaid shirt, cowboy boots, wide-leg jeans, and brown fashion details will undoubtedly make your photo look original!
Option #4: T-Shirts
When we talk about young people, the first fashion association is T-shirts… A lot of T-shirts! For this reason, is there a better piece of clothing than a short sleeve T-shirt that will perfectly represent the young spirit of the generation?
However, you probably wonder which T-shirts will fit perfectly into your outfits for senior pictures.
Let me help you!
- The statement T-shirt. To add a touch of fun to your outfit, wear a statement T-shirt with a bold print or design. It can be a little daring, but that makes it interesting! If you’re known as a prankster, pick some funny statement to leave a personal mark commemorating your high-school days.
- Basic T-shirt. When you are unsure what to pair with your favorite skirt or jeans, a plain white T-shirt comes to the rescue. This versatile piece of clothing looks fantastic in any outfit and is comfortable and trendy!
- Ruffle-sleeved T-shirt. For a touch of elegance, choose a cute ruffle-sleeved T-shirt. These details on the shoulders will look great in the photo and raise your complete outfit to the next level. However, I’d recommend staying away from tops with structured sleeves if you have an inverted triangle body because they will make your shoulders look even bigger.
Wondering how to combine these T-shirts with other clothes and fashion details? I have chosen two examples to inspire you.
Let’s start with this cool, kinda rocker style.
And if you want something more refined, stay tuned – the next outfit is for you.
A ruffle-sleeved T-shirt, baggy yellow pants, and other adorable details will look brilliant when the photographer captures your perfect moment.
Option #5: Sweaters
If you want to dress up for your photos but still look casual, sweaters might save your day! Whether you’re looking for something classic or more modern, I’ve got you covered.
Let me share my top three picks for sweaters that will look great in outfits for senior pictures.
- Cardigan. A cardigan is a type of sweater with a front opening. It’s a good versatile option for winter and autumn photo shoots because it will keep you warm, so you won’t have to cover your outfit with a thick jacket.
- Pullover. A pullover is a type of sweater you put on by pulling it over the head, and you can find it in various varieties, colors, and lengths. You can easily pair it with pants, a cocktail dress, and a shirt to achieve a classy look in your photos.
- A turtleneck. A turtleneck is a type of sweater or shirt with a high collar covering the neck. It is very comfortable, soft, and usually made of a thinner material that allows easy movements and breathability. It is an unmistakable choice for refined photos.
Now let’s see how to style a cardigan with the rest of your outfit to shine in front of the camera.
In case you prefer trousers instead of a bodycon dress, consider the following styling.
A turtleneck pullover, jeans, warm boots, and a fancy hair tie guarantee a casual and flawless look.
Option #6: Skirts
Another excellent option for the right senior photo outfit is skirts. They are flattering, easy to find, and come in various styles. But which type to choose for your photo shoot?
Let’s go over the three options.
- The classic A-line skirt. It’s universally flattering and works with any top, T-shirt, or blouse. Whether you’re looking for a casual look or something more formal, the A-line skirt is always a good choice for photo shooting.
- The mini denim skirt. A great option to show off your cool and edgy side. It’s also comfortable and easy to wear – perfect for a long day of shooting.
- The maxi skirt. It’s an elegant and feminine choice and can be dressy or casual, depending on how you style it. The maxi skirt is the way to go if you’re looking for something that will make you feel confident and beautiful.
Are you wondering how to look amazing in a skirt without leaving the impression of being overdressed? I will answer you with two outfit ideas.
Let’s start with the adorable floral A-line skirt, basic T-shirt, and some extra girly details.
Cute, isn’t it?
And now tell me – are there any boho style fans among you? If so, this maxi skirt will knock you off your feet.
You will definitely rock the portrait session by wearing this striped pastel green skirt, a cropped top with wide sleeves, and chic accessories.
Option #7: Pants
You don’t want to wear a skirt or a dress for senior pictures? Don’t worry; there’s no need to stress a lot – just slip into a pair of pants that make you feel confident and comfortable. Here are three of the best types of pants to wear for your big day.
- Wide-leg. These pants will make you look and feel like a million bucks on your senior pic. They’re flattering on all body types creating a nice, long silhouette.
- Skinny jeans. If you want to show off your killer legs, skinny jeans are the way to go. They will accentuate your figure and make your best assets stand out.
- Cropped pants – These are the perfect option to show off a little bit of skin without looking inappropriate. They’re also great for showing off your favorite pair of shoes.
Ready to see how to style pants to look awesome on your shooting day?
First, I’ll show you how your most ordinary skinny jeans can look brilliant if you pair them with a one-shoulder shirt, comfortable sneakers, and a cute hair accessory.
And now, let’s take a look at a fantastic outfit based on cropped pants.
Burgundy pants, a black sweater, ankle boots, and unique smiley earrings will make you look and feel like a supermodel on your photo session day.
Senior Picture Outfit Ideas for Different Seasons
Now that we’ve covered the basics, it’s time to focus on the next important feature – the season when the senior portrait photo shoot will take place.
Different seasons call for different types of clothing, so in this section, I’ll share the best outfit ideas for each time of year. From floral dresses to warm sweaters – I’ll cover it all and help you find the perfect attire for your big day.
Let’s get started!
As the weather gets cooler, it’s time to start layering your clothing. However, this doesn’t mean you have to give up your style on a photo shoot day. In fact, layering can help you express your unique sense of fashion.
Start with a base layer of a fitted T-shirt or tank top, then add a cardigan or sweater. Or even better – go with a sweater over dress style and look like a real trendsetter.
Pair your bodycon dress with an oversized pullover, add some fancy boots and accessories, and trust me – you’ll admire your amazing photos after shooting.
When it’s really chilly outside, you want your outfits for senior pictures to be both warm and chic. That means lots of layers, especially if you are outside. Wear some warm pullover, top it off with a scarf, a fancy coat, and you’re ready to take on the cooler weather in style.
Let me show you how.
You can also have fun with texture in winter by adding (faux, of course) fur-lined accessories and some cool boots!
Let’s move away from low temperatures a bit and run towards the sun. As the weather starts to warm up, it’s time to take those dresses out of the wardrobe. Opt for floral or pastel dresses for senior pictures to look flawless!
Furthermore, lighter layers are key during this transitional season. Start with a basic tee or tank top, then add a cardigan or light jacket. For bottoms, try some cool trends like culottes or wide-leg pants.
Finally, don’t forget to add some pops of color with your accessories to achieve a stunning portrait.
And when the temperatures start to rise, you’ll want to reach for cool and breathable clothes. A linen dress is an excellent option for a senior photo shoot during the summer – it’s light and airy and won’t make you sweat. When it comes to footwear, sandals and flip-flops are essential for beating the heat.
Also, don’t be afraid to experiment with brighter colors and bolder patterns during the summer. This is a great chance to get out of your fashion comfort zone and show your personality through unique outfits for senior pictures.
3 Senior Photo Outfits for Guys
My dear guys, if you thought I forgot you – don’t worry, I haven’t! I have prepared three different photo outfits for your spectacular look.
So let’s see.
- Option #1: The Formal Look
For a senior photo that will stand the test of time, go with a formal look. A simple suit or tuxedo can convey confidence and maturity and will always be in fashion.
Also, remember that adding a pop of color with a pocket square or tie is a great way to personalize your look.
- Option #2: The Trendy Look
To ensure your senior photos are as trendy as you are, go for a cutting-edge look. Stay up-to-date on the latest fashion trends and choose an outfit that shows off your unique sense of style, like a linen shirt and pants.
Accessorize your styling with some cool shades or a stylish hat to make your photos stand out.
- Option #3: The Casual Look
For a relaxed and comfortable photo shoot, go for a casual look. Jeans and a T-shirt are always an excellent choice, or you can opt for something slightly more dressy like chinos and a polo shirt. Add a jacket or sweater if you’re looking to layer up.
That’s it, guys! We have covered three basic styles that will fit perfectly into your senior portrait. Of course, dare to experiment and add a touch of personality to any of these stylings.
Over To You
And here ends my guide on choosing the best outfits for senior pictures. Let’s sum up what we’ve covered so far:
- Choose an outfit that shows off your personality.
- Plan your outfit beforehand.
- Don’t wear too much makeup.
- Wear colors that compliment your skin tone and eyes.
- During the fall and winter, choose the right layering pieces, such as cardigans.
- Feel free to change a few outfits during your photo session.
Ending with a bang, I want to give you one last tip on how to look great for your senior photos – have fun! Ultimately, senior pictures are meant to capture this special time in your life. So relax, be yourself, and enjoy the experience!
If you love this guide, check out my blog with a lot of styling, beauty, and home improvement tips, and enjoy reading!
Similar in blog
A Full Guide on What to Wear to a Spa for Total Comfort and Style
Can I tell you an embarrassing story? My friends invited me to spend a weekend at a spa resort, which is something I’ve never done before.…
What Shoes Go Best with Mom Jeans – Tips and Outfit Ideas
Step aside skinny jeans, as mom jeans are back with a bang! I bet all of us ladies are thrilled at the much-needed comeback of the…
Choose These 10 Dresses If You Have a Plus-Size Apple-Shaped Figure
Girls, do you know the biggest superpower you can possess to boost your plus-size fashion game? Knowing your body shape's strengths and weaknesses and styling your…
7 Tips on How to Wear a Poncho to Look Your Best (with Outfits)
I have always loved ponchos. They are so comfortable and easy to wear. But I have always struggled with one thing - poncho outfit ideas. Do…
37 Blazer Outfits that Deserve a Place in Your Wardrobe
Ladies, I'm sure we all own a couple of blazers in the closet and don’t know what to do with them. This is a killer wardrobe…
24 Jeans Recommendations for Rectangle Body Shape
Are you one of those straight-figured beauties who think it's impossible to find the perfect pair of jeans that will make you look curvier? I understand…
26 Winter Baddie Outfits to Bring Forward Your Rebellious Spirit
Are you a fan of the baddie aesthetic but are not sure if you can maintain it throughout the cold season? Well, I understand your concern.…
Freshen Up Your Looks with These 20 Gucci Belt Outfit Ideas
I don’t know about you, but often, when I look at my outfits, there’s just something missing. Sometimes this ‘something’ is a belt; that’s why I…
Choose the Best Strapless Bodysuit Shapewear with These 20 Picks
Over the past few years, shapewear has become a trending item of every woman's wardrobe to help perfect the figure. I own two pieces from SKIMS,…