Whatever the case or however you look at it, the bottom line is that it’s normal for the tummy, especially the lower belly region to bulge. It’s a process where you wake up in the morning with a comparatively more deflated stomach and then the bulge starts to form and increase post-meal and as the day wears on.
You can and absolutely should lose your lower belly fat in a healthy manner to both feel and look good, if that’s what you want of course. Then there are women who simply wish to temporarily tuck in the lower tummy bulge or muffin top as they call it. Simply because you CAN do that with the help of the best shapewear for lower belly pooch.
These comfortable styles also slim down your love handles and shape the entire abdominal area. So let’s find out which ones to pick and why!
Table of Content
- Top 10 Shapewear Designs to Conceal/Shape Tummy Fat
- 1. Nebility Women Hi-Waist Butt Lifter Body Shaper
- 2. Brabic 2 in 1 Postpartum Belly Wrap
- 3. Spanx Oncore Tummy Control Compression Bodysuit
- 4. Vinmin Valentina Womens Hot Body Shaper
- 5. Spanx High-Waisted Power Short Shapewear
- 6. Olikeme Women’s Tummy Control Waist Shaper
- 7. Yerkoad Women Shapewear Tummy Control Body Shaper Shorts
- 8. Irisnaya Tummy Control Waist Trainer Full Vest Body Shaper
- 9. Shapermint High Waisted Body Shaper Shorts
- 10. Loday Waist Trainer Corset Tummy Control Body Shaper
- What is Lower Belly Pooch and Why Do You Have It?
- How Do You Go About Choosing Shapewear for Tummy Control?
- How to Hide Lower Belly Pooch?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- It’s the Final Take!
Top 10 Shapewear Designs to Conceal/Shape Tummy Fat
1. Nebility Women Hi-Waist Butt Lifter Body Shaper
A cost-effective body shaper that takes care of your tummy, hips, and buttocks – meaning it targets all problematic areas in terms of shaping your body. Nebility shapewear here even flattens mid-section belly fat.
No rolling down issues and no riding up concerns either, unless you have a long torso. In that case, this high-waist shaper may not reach as far as the under-bust as it’s supposed to. Nevertheless, it’s designed to give you a seamless look. The focus is more on tummy control rather than lifting the butt. And even with an XL size, everything fits perfectly.
The high-waist design for someone of standard height provides firm control in the right region to flatten your bulge and make that area look tight and smooth. Double-layered stretchy fabrics hand over high-compression yet comfortable tuck-in with spiral-shaped steel bones that allow the shaper to stay put throughout your day.
- Made of breathable polyester and stretchy spandex
- Double-layered for high compression on tummy
- High-waist design with support steel bones
- Too short for women with a long torso
- Not entirely seamless through clothing
2. Brabic 2 in 1 Postpartum Belly Wrap
Supporting the abdominal muscles post-childbirth is something that many women have claimed helps a great deal when it comes to retaining those muscles. So, at such times, if you want an undergarment that supports and shapes a flabby, poochy stomach, you can cover all you want with this perfectly sized, 2-piece Brabic belly wrap.
The tummy really stretches out after childbirth, even more so if you’ve had 3 kids for example. But even then, this postpartum tummy control waist trainer also the best shapewear for C-section pooch offers additional support. The second band lifts the lower belly to keep it from hanging loose. And that’s the best part.
It’s made of breathable, soft fabrics so the whole thing is skin-friendly, which is much-needed during the postpartum recovery phase. Speaking of comfort, there are more than enough hooks for you to create a snug fit and exact belly control. And the compression throughout is uniform with zero complaints of the wrap riding up or down.
- Double-layered with a lightweight, elastic feel
- 2 in 1 – tummy control shaper with extra pelvis belt
- Steel bones in the waist create uniform compression
- High-waist shapewear with adjustable hook and eye closure
- Top piece sizing isn’t tight enough like the bottom piece
3. Spanx Oncore Tummy Control Compression Bodysuit
Now how about a complete shapewear bodysuit for smoothing out your overall curves and bulges? Let me present to you this amazing Tummy Control Compression Bodysuit by shapewear trend-setters Spanx.
What’s simply awesome about this bodysuit is that it has an opening in the bottom for bathroom visits. And the opening is large enough to accommodate what needs to be accommodated to answer nature calls. You can create the same size slit in your pantyhose as well to get it to align with the bodysuit opening.
Weight loss through exercise is something that takes lots of patience and effort to achieve, right? So why not bring in some additional help along the way? Especially when there’s shapewear that’s comfortable to wear throughout the day. Despite the fully-bonded panels in the front that offer tummy control and edge-bonded side panels for slimming.
- Nylon shapewear good for heat retention in cold weather
- Spandex also included for a stretchy, snug fit
- Bonded panels provide squeeze-free, flat slimming
- Double-gusset crotch opening for easy restroom visits
- Breathability is not its strongest suit Legs tend to ride up if the fit is not perfect
4. Vinmin Valentina Womens Hot Body Shaper
Does tummy control shapewear like this reduce belly fat? Does it also help with back fat? To be completely honest with you, when it comes to shedding fat, only a dedicated, sweaty, calorie-burning workout along with a healthy diet can do that effectively. BUT body shapers like these certainly smoothen out fat rolls in terms of appearance.
The fats rolls can be your back fat i.e. love handles, tummy pooch i.e. muffin top, etc. Belly compression through this body shaper takes care of loose skin while your weight loss is simultaneously taking its course. In fact, the compression here creates more body heat, so you can shed more water weight per workout session.
To top it off, the use of stretchy, lightweight, and comfortable neotex makes the experience a pleasant one. Be it for the gym, outdoor activities, special occasions like a party, holiday, festival, etc., or just at home.
- Neoprene compression comfortably molds the figure
- Preservation of body heat for sweat stimulation during workouts
- Lifts the breasts along with tucking in the tummy
- Inseams cause chafing, especially around the underarms
- Strong odor takes a while to go away
5. Spanx High-Waisted Power Short Shapewear
So Spanx offers regular power shorts, high-waist power shorts (the current one), and high-waist power panties. This means you have enough options to choose from based on your personal preferences. These high-waist power shorts seem like the most fitting choice as far as targeted tummy shaping is concerned.
The high-waisted shapewear provides more coverage to smoothen your entire abdominal region, which is the problematic muffin top. Plus, the waistband of this thing is superb when it comes to staying put. It has an anti-slip strip to keep the shaper in place throughout the day. So no rolling down to restrict your freedom of movement.
In case you didn’t know, this is Spanx’s best-selling seamless Power Collection. And each piece from this is widely popular for control and comfort, minus the squeeze. This high-waist body-shaping wonder, in particular, is virtually invisible under even a bandage dress.
Also, take all the extra points you need Spanx for the crotch-less design, so women can go to the restroom without thinking twice.
- High-waist power shorts shaper covers more area
- No-slip strip on waistband for all-day hold
- Shaping zones targeted in the stomach
- Thicker material keeps the legs from rolling up
- Sticky adhesive only in the back of waistband, not front
6. Olikeme Women’s Tummy Control Waist Shaper
What you’re seeing here is high-waist, firm-control body shapewear panties. And it comes from a brand like Olikeme, which, when simply put, implies that you don’t have to worry about things like how long will this waist shaper last, will it create the slimming silhouette you desire, etc.
Oftentimes, what you expect you don’t always get, right? Now turn that around in a good way in the case of this Tummy Control Waist Shaper by Olikeme. Meaning if you didn’t “expect” it to produce pleasant results, be ready to be disappointed. The shaper doesn’t roll down, rather it holds in the lower belly bulge very well. And no cutting the legs too tight either.
The firm control and comfortable compression through the mid-section is the best part indeed. Plus, the design is high-waisted for smooth overall shaping and extra coverage. I don’t care, as shouldn’t you, about creating a more “feminine” silhouette, but the current waist shaping tool certainly helps in harmlessly smoothing lumpy areas and extra rolls.
- Firm control and compression through mid-section
- High-waisted for top-to-bottom abdominal shaping
- Made of comfortable, breathable, and stretchy materials
- Built-in underwear might feel uncomfortable
7. Yerkoad Women Shapewear Tummy Control Body Shaper Shorts
Firstly, this is the best plus size shapewear for lower belly pooch. Secondly, the quality of the product is simply out of this world. And thirdly, and also realistically, even though it doesn’t magically fix your plus-size body shape, it certainly redistributes your curves and lumps in a much more flattering manner. Not that, mind you, there’s anything unflattering about your natural body.
Moving on, the huge plus is the fact that you experience no amount of the shaper rolling at the top or in the legs, no matter what. It’s actually quite surprising how perfectly well even the XXL size fits on a larger body frame. And in case you want additional compression, you can even move one size down, that is to XL (although that wouldn’t be the best choice, health-wise).
Moreover, the zipper and hook system makes the whole task of wearing the undergarment and taking it off much easier. Just make sure you follow the brand’s size chart accurately. And since there’s no boning along the sides, you don’t have to make do with any poking discomfort or pain just because you want your tummy and butt to look a certain way.
- Waist cincher, thigh slimmer shapewear
- Made of shape-retaining nylon and stretchy spandex
- High-waisted with mid-compression for tummy control
- Spiral, posture-correcting steel bones in the back and front
- Wide stretch band, smooth zipper, and breathable mesh panels
- Butt shaping is not as prominent
- No bottom cut-out for bathroom visits
8. Irisnaya Tummy Control Waist Trainer Full Vest Body Shaper
Irisyana shapewear is a very popular choice among women looking for tummy control full vest body shapers that hold everything in while also smoothing it all out. A piece like this shapes your back rolls even, which is something many women struggle with. In fact, the current style also minimizes the appearance of big boobs.
In that light, what’s the sort of chest support here in this case? Are there any wires, cups, or anything like that? Unfortunately, since there are no such elements as wires or bralette, the support is the flattening sort. And you may or may not appreciate that with a pair of larger breasts. But this also means you can put on your favorite bra.
Moving on, what you’re most likely to love is the material. It’s breathable, soft, silky, comfortably, and highly elastic. After all, the construction is a blend of nylon and spandex. That welcomes quick-drying and lightweight abilities perfect for all weather conditions. More importantly though, tummy control is well taken care of by the double-layered compression.
- Made of lightweight, soft, and stretch fabrics
- Super-elastic to allow the body to move freely
- Adjustable crotch with hooks for bathroom visits
- Scoop neckline, so you can wear it as is with jeans, shorts, etc.
- Completely flattens/squishes the chest
- Bottom opening tends to rub against the thighs
9. Shapermint High Waisted Body Shaper Shorts
Now, how about some thigh slimming technology too, along with tummy shaping control of course? This High Waisted Body Shaper features anti-slip silicone that acts as the smoothing technology. And that’s very useful for women during postpartum.
The piece under question is also a very fitting choice for thick thighs and large buttocks. I won’t lie to you by saying that you’ll notice a HUGE difference but I will say this – the shapewear doesn’t move or roll down as long as you pull it all the way up till your bra.
In terms of size, if budget is not a concern, you can try out two sizes just to see which one fits better. But then if that’s not the case, just get your accurate size based on the size chart of this brand and you’re bound to appreciate the tummy bulge compressing capacity for the sake of appearance.
- Seamless body shaper shorts for thigh slimming
- Made of nylon (shape-retention) and spandex (stretch)
- Anti-slip silicone technology for smoothing out curves
- Even though machine-washable, it’s extremely durable
- Support is a bit lacking due to too much stretch
10. Loday Waist Trainer Corset Tummy Control Body Shaper
A very affordable, beginner-friendly body shaper with double-layered compression that holds everything in the most comfortably. Plus, it’s lightweight and stretchy to support movements during all kinds of activities, even working out. The quality is incredibly breathable given that it’s a waist trainer. Very comfortable indeed for everyday wear too.
But please note that the body-shaping corset material stretches out to accommodate your size only after a few uses. But once the superior comfort and support set in, expect nothing but a well-sculpted belly region.
You get spiral-shaped steel boning that makes sure the tapered yet not-squeezed-in shaping doesn’t get compromised due to the shapewear rolling down or up during movements. And it hides away rolls, bumps, and bulges even in the case of a long torso.
Furthermore, tasks like taking off the undergarment and putting it on are made much more convenient with the help of the front zipper. Then there are 3 rows of adjustable hooks for tweaking the level of compression you desire.
- Double-layered compression for tucking in belly fat
- High-quality, posture-correcting spiral steel boning
- Stretchy, comfortable fabric for all-day wear
- Durable, smooth zipper and adjustable hook closure
- Not a suitable choice for a short torso
What is Lower Belly Pooch and Why Do You Have It?
Lower belly pooch is the formation of fat around your stomach. As to why it exists, there are a few common reasons for that…
- If it’s belly fat, then most likely the culprit is the lack of regular exercise and/or a proper, healthy diet. In the case of the latter, some examples include low protein intake, high carb consumption, and eating too much fast food, baked goods, etc.
- Then another reason why you have that belly or tummy bulge is water retention and bloating. The most common causes here for bloating are lactose intolerance, gluten or wheat allergies, excessive sodium intake, highly processed foods, artificial sweeteners, and more. As for water retention, here’s what you can do to reduce it.
- Many women and men have a tummy bulge because of extra skin. Sometimes due to drastic or fast weight loss, skin tends to hang after the burning of fat underneath it. You can’t expect your skin to go back in time and look like before – sadly, it doesn’t work that way.
- The least prevalent reason is an anterior pelvic tilt. To put it simply, it’s a natural C-shaped curve in the back, which makes the tummy look like it’s bulging out. But you can change the appearance, to a certain extent only, by posture-correction exercises like high plank, side plank, downward-facing dog, and more.
How Do You Go About Choosing Shapewear for Tummy Control?
Take the following factors into some serious consideration at the time of buying…
Do you really think a smaller size of shapewear will be more comfortable to wear throughout the day? Of course not, right? So then why put your body through all that struggle and trouble when the end result is not even going to look the way you want it to. Meaning a smaller size just gives rise to more bulges.
Instead, you should turn up the level of control. For example, go for extra-firm instead of firm. But more on this later.
Every brand offers its specific size guidelines, so don’t expect all size charts to be the same because not all manufacturers follow the same standard sizing method.
Likewise, avoid wearing something too loose as that too is a counterproductive approach to body shaping.
2. Type of Shapewear
Let’s start with High-Waist Body Shapers. These can take the form of briefs, shorts, panties, etc. with high-waist coverage and tummy control. So they travel all the way up to your under-bust region while a few just touch the belly button. As someone with a long torso, you may want to choose the former i.e. a body shaper that reaches your under-bust or bra.
The next option would be Full Bodysuit Shapewear – these consist of complete coverage from the breasts down to your hips (in the case of panty styles) or thighs (in the case of shorts).
Some feature a built-in bra for breast support and shaping, which is an added benefit for women with larger breasts. While others allow you to wear your own bra, you know in case you have a favorite that prevents side boob spillage since your breasts are bigger in size.
Then there are Slip or Camisole Body Shapers too, but they aren’t as popular as high-waist and full body suit shapers. Nevertheless, they sculpt your upper body, including the waist and tummy of course.
Needless to say, not every shapewear is designed using the same material or even a blend of materials. But the most commonly used blend is nylon and spandex. And the reason for that is that nylon shapewear is great for shape-retention while spandex is the best choice for high elasticity to accommodate your body shape and movements.
Then there’s cotton too, which is also comfortable, and moisture-wicking as well. Cotton-made body shapers, due to the material’s sweat-absorbent and breathable properties, are more suitable for the summer months of the year.
So you can ditch a synthetic fabric like nylon and choose cotton instead since the latter breathes more freely. But then never go for a blend that doesn’t consist of spandex as spandex is responsible for the much-needed stretch.
4. Level of Control
- Light control has a more comfortable and lightweight quality to it yet your body receives a good amount of smoothening and shaping. However, light compression or control tends to stretch out and roll down quite a bit.
- Medium control gives you a higher compression than light, so your curves, and bulges are contoured with enough support and hold to appear to be more streamlined and smoother.
- Firm control, on the other hand, is for those who prefer a snug fit for a more defined toning/shaping effect. Needless to say, it’s the least comfortable and works the best for extra-curvy women.
- Extra-firm control is also added to the mix in case you’re under the misconception that a smaller shapewear size will do more in terms of compressing your tummy pooch. So instead of going one size down, which counterproductively creates more bulges, why not just choose extra-firm control.
5. Sensitive Skin
One of the most common complaints among women who wear body shapers is skin sensitivity or irritation. When your shapewear is on for a long period of time, it’s bound to trigger rashes, allergies, itching, etc. Even more so if your skin is already sensitive. After all, undergarments touch the skin more in comparison to your other fabrics.
So what’s the solution to this common problem? Check if the shapewear of your choice is made using hypoallergenic materials (for example, cotton).
Then there’s another option at your disposal – avoid wearing too tight shapewear for too long (such as sleeping in one at night). Keep in mind that when something is too tight, it restricts your blood circulation. In short, if the shaper is leaving a mark on your body post-wear, it is too tight indeed.
How to Hide Lower Belly Pooch?
Here are some pretty amazing and practical fashion and styling tips to hide a tummy…
Frequently Asked Questions
Is It Safe to Wear Shapewear Every Day?
As long as the fit of the shapewear isn’t constricting in any way, you can indeed wear it on a daily basis for smoothing out your extra fat in the form of a lower belly pooch, back fat rolls, too curvy hips, saggy buttocks, etc.
Fortunately, modern styles are nothing like the suffocating traditional corsets from the Victorian age.
Does Shapewear Help With Weight Loss?
If it’s a waist trainer, then YES. Because what the compression, in the case of waist trainers, does is create more heat and sweat during workout sessions. That way, you lose more water weight and speed up the process of fat shedding. But then you have to keep up with your workout routine, along with eating a healthy, well-balanced diet on a consistent basis.
Does Shapewear Flatten the Tummy?
To be honest, shapewear only makes the tummy appear to be flat from the outside. It doesn’t really automatically eliminate your paunch. But you can put on a tummy-slimming shaper to tuck away the bulge under fitted tops and dresses.
Does Shapewear Fit Plus Size Figures?
As a matter of fact, shapewear is designed for plus-size women. As long as you’re choosing the correct size (not too tight nor too loose), you can fit into any style of shapewear and use and adjust it to your advantage.
But then many plus-size women go for not just tummy shaping but also thigh slimming. For example, high-waist tummy control compression shorts or bodysuit. The goal here is to smooth out ALL bulges, not just the ones around the abdominal region.
It’s the Final Take!
I have not written this article to encourage any toxic body positivity. Getting the perfect body of your dreams is hardly possible these days. But you can strive to look, feel, and eat healthy to be a more mindful, disciplined person. And this is even more required when women go through some serious changes like childbirth, sudden weight gain/loss, etc.
The good thing about shapewear is that, when used correctly, it can smooth out your curves and bulges in areas you find the most problematic. Obviously, your tummy bulge isn’t going to magically disappear just like that with shapewear. But it is indeed a very useful tool to temporarily tuck in what seems to be literally getting in the way.